Have you been combing or brushing through your hair and you notice some white little flakes dropping off your hair? That is dandruff. So what is dandruffs? Also known as scalp seborrhea is produced when your skin scalp exfoliates excessively and this is caused by fungus, though there are other origins for dandruffs.
Dandruffs can be very difficult to manage especially when you are keeping your hair natural in a very uncomfortable condition. When you begin to experience hair dryness, breakage or stunted growth, those are the result of dandruffs in the hair.
There are two major reasons for dandruffs in the hair.
- Inflammatory disease of the scalp and…
- Inadequate hygiene for the scalp.
For any reason that you might be experiencing dandruffs in your hair, it’s best to be careful about products and medications to treat it. And that is why we have carefully outlined in this article the step by step approach you can take in getting rid of dandruffs in your hair.
But before we get into getting rid of dandruff in the hair, let’s take a closer look at their causes.
- It’s important to take note that if you are experiencing dandruffs it might be that your hair is reacting to a harsh product you are applying on your hair. If you use products that contain chemicals or are high in sulfate, your scalp might get irritated and trigger
- Not washing your hair regularly can also cause dandruffs for your hair, the reason is because you produce extra oil when you don’t wash them.
The fungus feeds on the excess oil and causes dryness, itching and irritable scalp which results in dandruff. So find out a washing routine that best fits your hair.
- Choice diets are also a great contributor of dandruff in the hair. If you consume foods that are rich in sugar it can increase the growth of yeast on the scalp and this can lead to dandruff.
In the earlier article we discuss some health diet that are beneficial for our hair growth and to keep the hair healthy.
- Another reason for dandruff is stress. While stress can have adverse effects on our body, the same thing goes to our hair. Stress is not good for our body as it can cause the immune system to break down and makes one susceptible to disease and dandruff growth in the hair.
While there are still many other causes of dandruffs, let’s take a look on how to get rid of it.
- Exfoliate your scalp: Regular exfoliating of the scalp will help reduce excessive oil from the scalp thereby reducing the chances of fungus from surviving in your scalp. Also exfoliating the scalp helps with the circulation of blood in the scalp. Another great way to exfoliate your scalp is by massaging it and get a clarifying shampoo to clarify and getting rid of dirt in the scalp.
- Apply aloe vera: The aloe vera is a very useful plant that is known to treat all kinds of skin, face and hair conditions. There are so many videos out there that show how important it is to have a pot of aloe vera plants in our backyard. Aloe vera possesses antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties which can help to get rid of dandruffs in the hair. To use it, scrape the gel off the aloe vera plant and apply it on your scalp for 15-20mins before washing off.
- Use coconut oil: It is known for its many health benefits and can be used as a natural remedy to curing dandruff. When you apply coconut oil to your scalp, it helps prevent dryness, which can aid the growth of dandruffs in the scalp.
- Lastly, it’s important that you always take enough rest, the state of your body is a major contributing factor to your hair and scalp’s health. When your body is weak, it leaves your immune system vulnerable and susceptible to fungal infections. So it’s advisable to always revitalize your body as this is important for the general health of your hair and scalp.
Getting rid of dandruffs doesn’t just happen overnight, it takes time. Learn to be patient with your hair.